There are two things in life that I am truly passionate about: Comics, and honey.
Just don’t give it to babies and small children especially raw, okay? Okay. Carry on.
i dont even like honey and i suddenly like honey
Also!!! If you have seasonal allergies, buying local honey from a farmers market or something can help tone down your allergies! The honey is made from bees in your area that have been pollinating with those same flowers and plants that are making your nose try to kill you! So by eating local honey, you automatically have a natural immunization against your seasonal allergies!
Honey also makes a really good sweetener, especially for tea. Put a bit in and it really enhances the flavour.
If you ‘don’t like honey’, try honey made from specific flower varieties! Clover honey is the most common, but things like wildflower honey, sage honey, etc all are out there, and whatever the bees got the honey from lends a little bit of different flavor! I’m a huge fan of sage honey, myself.
(I even had poison ivy honey once and it was legit as fuck.)
Wait honey tastes different depending on the FLOWER?? I gotta buy some more honey!
actually the only way in which honey can go bad is if it comes in contact (and stays in contact) with water. if water gets inside the jar, the honey is doomed to be infested with bacteria. so always close the honey container if you value your life
Honey is awesome and I agree with everything this says because it’s true. I have used it as a topical treatment on a wide variety of animals (including reptiles) with wonderful results. The only issue I have is that I’m not sure pasteurization is being used correctly here. Honey can contain the bacteria Clostridium botulinum which is why it should be pasteurized. Pasteurization is simply heating the honey to a temperature set by the FDA to kill just about any microorganisms that could be within it. Processing is separate and usually bad. Botulism poisoning is rare but it is bad news, that is why it is recommended that infants under a year should not have it, as stated above.
I have used farmer’s market honey, plastic bear honey, whatever honey happened to be on hand with no ill effects. It is a personal choice to have raw honey but there are also risks and adult gastrointestinal toxemia is rare but still a possibility. It is true that local honey helps with seasonal allergies and it is a fantastic topical treatment for animals because they can ingest it without poisoning themselves and it doesn’t burn dermal cells the way neosporin can.
I just don’t want people getting the wrong idea, Pasteurization is not the same as processing. The choice is up to you to choose what you think is best. Keep in mind, ‘raw’ foods CAN and DO have risks and downsides just as processed and pasteurized foods do..